Chill out -- without the drugs
"The Hot Flashes," an upcoming movie starring Daryl Hannah (51), Brooke Shields (47) and Wanda Sykes (48) as members of a middle-age basketball team may seem pretty cool. But when it comes to the estrogen rollercoaster that hits most women in their 40s, and ends with menopause around age 51, hot flashes are sweaty, sleep-disturbing interruptions to everyday life and romance.
Now a new study shows a drug-free way to chill out! (If you're not in a high-risk group, 10 years or fewer of hormone therapy is effective, reduces mortality and disability substantially when combined with two baby aspirins taken with a warm glass of water before and after. We believe you should never consider estrogen therapy without aspirin.) The study recommendations: Adopt an ultra-low saturated- and trans fat diet loaded with veggies, fruits, and whole grains -- and if you're overweight, lose at least 10 percent of your weight.
So today's cool-the-hot-flash news flash? Dr. Oz's weight-loss trio of tips:
1. Raspberry ketone, the chemical that makes this fruit smell so good, may help. Use a supplement to get 100 milligrams a day.
2. Jump-start weight loss with Dr. Oz's 90/10 rule. For seven days, make 90 percent of what you eat veggies, fruits, seeds and nuts, beans and whole grains. The other 10 percent? Healthy oils, skinless poultry and fish, and no-fat dairy.
3. Boost your metabolism by eating every three hours -- three meals plus two healthy snacks a day. Eat within an hour of waking up and not after 8 p.m.
Mehmet Oz, M.D. is host of "The Dr. Oz Show," and Mike Roizen, M.D. is Chief Medical Officer at the Cleveland Clinic Wellness Institute. For more information go to www.RealAge.com.