1 am: 55°FPartly Cloudy

3 am: 53°FPartly Cloudy

5 am: 52°FPartly Cloudy w/ Showers

7 am: 54°FRain

More Weather

2012 0827 xhistory 06

Herald-Dispatch archives -

Northcott Hall at Marshall University was built in 1916 and demolished in 1996 to make way for the John Deaver Drinko Library. The archway facade was incorporated into the new library. Thanks to Jim Mitchell for the information.

Gallery: Historical Marshall University photos

Jun. 18, 2013 @ 12:31 PM

Marshall University traces its roots to when, in 1837, a group of residents got together, planned the school and named it Marshall Academy.

On March 30, 1838, the Virginia General Assembly formally incorporated Marshall Academy. Its first full term was 1838-1839.

Following the Civil War, the West Virginia Legislature created the State Normal School of Marshall College to train teachers in 1867.

Marshall became a university in 1961, and the School of Medicine admitted its first class in 1978.

(u'nobuy',)