6 am: 61°FMostly Cloudy

8 am: 64°FCloudy

10 am: 70°FMostly Cloudy

12 pm: 73°FMostly Cloudy

More Weather

2012 0730 xhistory 15

Herald-Dispatch photo archive -

The Marshall Lab School began in 1896 as a "model school" by Mabel Brown. It was initially attended by 10 fourth-graders and quickly grew into a lab school for the training of teachers at Marshall. This building, known as Jenkins Hall, opened in 1937 on the Marshall campus. The lab school was phased out in 1970.

Gallery: Historical Marshall University photos

Jun. 18, 2013 @ 12:31 PM

Marshall University traces its roots to when, in 1837, a group of residents got together, planned the school and named it Marshall Academy.

On March 30, 1838, the Virginia General Assembly formally incorporated Marshall Academy. Its first full term was 1838-1839.

Following the Civil War, the West Virginia Legislature created the State Normal School of Marshall College to train teachers in 1867.

Marshall became a university in 1961, and the School of Medicine admitted its first class in 1978.

(u'nobuy',)