4 pm: 54°FPartly Sunny

6 pm: 48°FPartly Cloudy

8 pm: 45°FMostly Cloudy

10 pm: 43°FCloudy

More Weather

2010 1220 xhistory 23

Herald-Dispatch archive photo -

With the central bell tower and three windows in the two gables, this building was built around 1852, according to actually built around 1852, according to G.S. Wallace's "Cabell County Annals and Families." It is a former Cabell County Courthouse. (Guyandotte was the first county seat in 1809, followed by Barboursville in 1814, then Huntington in 1887.) This was the main administration building of Morris Harvey College on Main Street in Barboursville. The school was founded in 1888 as the Barboursville Seminary of the Southern Methodist Church. In 1901, it was renamed Morris Harvey College, after a devoted supporter who made his fortune speculating in coal property and other businesses. The photo dates to around 1905. The college moved to Charleston in 1935 and was renamed the University of Charleston in 1978. The building and grounds, except for the buildings at the top of Fortification Hill, became property of the Cabell County Board of Education. The buildings at the top of the hill became part of the West Virginia State Hospital system and now compose the West Virginia Veterans Home. Additions were made to the north and south sides of this "Ole Main" and served as Barboursville Junior High School until Barboursville High School was merged with Milton High School to form Cabell Midland High School at Ona. The former high school became Barboursville Middle School, and the junior high school property became vacant. All buildings on the former Morris Harvey College site were razed in 1997. The steps, although not the same as in this photo, with its handrails leading up to "Ole Main," are still in the same location and now lead up to the beautiful Nancy Cartmill Gardens. Other photos of "Ole Main" can be found in Frank J. Kreb's book, "Where There Is No Faith, The Morris Harvey College Story 1888-1970" and in "Barboursville" by Frances B. Gunter. Thanks to Ken Reffeitt, Larry Legge and Jeanette Rowsey for the information.

Gallery: Do you remember? -- Dec. 20, 2010 (updated captions)

Dec. 22, 2010 @ 01:12 PM

On Sunday morning, Jan. 17, 1909, the first edition of The Herald-Dispatch appeared on the streets of Huntington. Fast-forward 101 years, and that's a lot of history.

We have discovered a treasure trove of old negatives and photos at The Herald-Dispatch. Some of the images, we know. Others, we have no idea.

In the coming months, we will scan the negatives and photos, which are crumbling and degrading as the years pass. We will create photo galleries with the images and add what caption information we know.

Browse through the gallery. If you can add caption information to any of the photos (or correct a caption we already have), e-mail online editor Andrea Copley-Smith at acopley@herald-dispatch.com or call 304-526-2764. Be sure to include the title of the gallery, details of the photo, your name and phone number.

(u'nobuy',)