A Huntington staple, Jim's Steak & Spaghetti House is celebrating 75 years in business.
Camden Park began in 1903 as a picnic area for the Camden Interstate Railway. Today, it remains the only amusement park in West Virginia.
The Herald-Dispatch's annual Citizen Awards program recognizes citizenship, volunteer efforts and accomplishments in business, athletics and the arts. And the process starts with your nominations.
2011 marks 50 years that the all-black Douglass High School closed. In 1961, Douglass closed its doors as a school and the students integrated with Huntington High. It was a transition that was bittersweet, former Douglass students said -- one that meant new opportunities, but the passing of a time when their world was close-knit and familiar.
On Jan. 27, 1937, the Ohio River crested in the Tri-State in the worst flood in local recorded history. The Flood of 1937 caused the river to reach a depth of 69.45 feet, more than 19 feet above flood stage in Huntington.
A fire at the Emmons Jr. apartment building started about 11 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 13, 2007, and killed nine people. Flames raced through the building, destroying it and the neighboring Emmons Sr. apartment building.
Marshall University (dark jerseys) lost to Western Michigan (white jerseys) 0-24 on Sept. 15, 1979, at Fairfield Stadium. The 1979 team had a 1-10 record under coach Sonny Randle.
Marshall University (dark jerseys) beat Morehead State (white jerseys) 17-7 in the season opener Sept. 19, 1970, at Fairfield Stadium.
Marshall University (dark jerseys) beat Western Carolina (white jerseys) 47-16 on Nov. 14, 1987, at Fairfield Stadium.
Marshall University (dark jerseys) lost to Villanova (white jerseys) 10-23 on Nov. 6, 1976, at Fairfield Stadium. The 1976 team had a 5-6 record under coach Frank Ellwood. Team captains were John "Fuzzy" Filliez and Billy Yanossy.