6 am: 62°FSunny

8 am: 64°FSunny

10 am: 73°FSunny

12 pm: 80°FSunny

More Weather

2012 0611 xhistory 01

Herald-Dispatch photo archive -

Marshall golf team. Front row, from left, Jack Stewart, Jack Egnor, Roger White, Gene Roach and Jack Powers. Back row, from left, Walt Carter, Ken Sydenstricker, Coach Neal B. "Whitey" Wilson, Arnold Browning (former golf professional at Guyan Golf & Country Club) and Glenn Thompson. Thanks to Ken Reffeitt and H.L. "Pete" Byer for the information.

Gallery: Historical Marshall University photos

Jun. 18, 2013 @ 12:31 PM

Marshall University traces its roots to when, in 1837, a group of residents got together, planned the school and named it Marshall Academy.

On March 30, 1838, the Virginia General Assembly formally incorporated Marshall Academy. Its first full term was 1838-1839.

Following the Civil War, the West Virginia Legislature created the State Normal School of Marshall College to train teachers in 1867.

Marshall became a university in 1961, and the School of Medicine admitted its first class in 1978.