7 am: 49°FSunny

9 am: 60°FPartly Sunny

11 am: 75°FPartly Sunny

1 pm: 79°FPartly Sunny

More Weather

2012 0220 xhistory 12

Herald-Dispatch photo archive -

The Marshall University Science Building is located along 3rd Avenue on the north side of campus. It was dedicated in 1950 and expanded in 1985 and 1995. The facility houses administration, offices, classrooms and laboratories of the College of Science. (This photo is not backward; 3rd and 5th avenues were two-way streets until 1958.)

Gallery: Historical Marshall University photos

Jun. 18, 2013 @ 12:31 PM

Marshall University traces its roots to when, in 1837, a group of residents got together, planned the school and named it Marshall Academy.

On March 30, 1838, the Virginia General Assembly formally incorporated Marshall Academy. Its first full term was 1838-1839.

Following the Civil War, the West Virginia Legislature created the State Normal School of Marshall College to train teachers in 1867.

Marshall became a university in 1961, and the School of Medicine admitted its first class in 1978.

(u'nobuy',)