2 am: 66°FPartly Cloudy

4 am: 64°FPartly Cloudy

6 am: 63°FPartly Sunny

8 am: 65°FMostly Sunny

More Weather

2012 0318 thistory 01

Herald-Dispatch photo archive

The Camden Interstate Railway Company was organized on Dec. 13, 1900, to splice together several local streetcar lines to form a true interurban route between Guyandotte, Ashland and Hanging Rock, Ohio, by using a ferry boat between Ashland and Coal Grove, Ohio. Soon afterward, local steamboat traffic dried up and the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway's "shuttle" to Ashland and the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad's "dummy" to Kenova were discontinued. Eventually, all of the original horsecars gave way to electrically powered streetcars, which in turn bowed to buses in 1937. Camden Park, a picnic spot started by the company in 1902, still operates as a separate entity.

Gallery: Camden Park through the years

Jun. 03, 2013 @ 02:16 PM

Camden Park began in 1903 as a picnic area for the Camden Interstate Railway. Today, it remains the only amusement park in West Virginia.