Fire damages Westmoreland home
HUNTINGTON — A local man was checked for smoke inhalation Friday as result of an early morning in Huntington.
Cabell County 911 received word of the fire at 7:34 a.m. in the 4000 block of Hughes Street in the city’s Westmoreland neighborhood.
Huntington Fire Chief Carl Eastham said crews arrived on scene to find heavy smoke. He said firefighters believe the fire ignited in the first-floor utility room and spread to the home’s second level.
Eastham described it was a one-and-a-half story home.
The man, who was at the residence with a woman, was checked for smoke inhalation at the scene. He was not taken to the hospital and no significant injuries were reported, Eastham said.
The chief described fire damage to the home as moderate with heavy smoke and water damage.
The American Red Cross was asked to provide assistance.
Follow Curtis Johnson via Twitter @curtisjohnsonHD and http://facebook.com/curtisjohnsonHD