Small fire reported at RCBI
HUNTINGTON -- A minor fire ignited Friday afternoon in a dust collection unit at The Robert C. Byrd Institute, a manufacturing facilitator located in the 1000 block of 4th Avenue.
Cabell County 911 received word of the incident at 1:50 p.m. Firefighters and other emergency officials quickly arrived on scene, momentarily blocking traffic on 11th Street between 3rd and 4th avenues.
Huntington Fire Chief Carl Eastham said a fire ignited in the dust collector, sparking little flame but causing a great deal of smoke. Fire damage was limited to the dust collection system. Fans were used to dissipate smoke.
One employee at the facility was taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation, Eastham said.
No other injuries were reported. Workers soon were allowed to re-enter the facility.
The Herald-Dispatch welcomes your comments on this article, but please be civil. Avoid profanity, obscenity, personal attacks, accusations of criminal activity, name-calling or insults to the other posters. Herald-dispatch.com does not control or monitor comments as they are posted, but if you find a comment offensive or uncivil, hover your mouse over the comment and click the X that appears in the upper right of the comment. If you do not want your comment to post to your personal Facebook page, uncheck the box below the comment.