Herald-Dispatch photo archives Dignitaries attend the groundbreaking for the Huntington Galleries (now called the Huntington Museum of Art) on Jan. 3, 1951. The man with the shovel is James D. Francis, president of the board of the Huntington Galleries. Behind him, from left to right, are George W. Norvell, Virginia Cavendish, Annette Harvey, C.R. Pettyjohn, Herman M. Brown, J.F. Arnold, Herbert Fitzpatrick, J.E. Reeb, Advertiser publisher Colonel J. H. Long, Herman P. Dean and Floyd Agee. Thanks to museum librarian Chris Hatten for the information. According to Richard McCoy, "The tower on the knoll in the foreground would be WSAZ-TV, Channel 5, the most powerful TV station in the world at the time, 1 million watts authorized max by FCC."
Gallery: Huntington Museum of Art
Nov. 04, 2012 @ 12:41 AM
The Huntington Museum of Art is celebrating its 60th anniversary.