Ohio fire marshal urges safe holiday decorating
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — The state fire marshal is urging Ohioans to take fire safety precautions when decorating for the holidays.
Fire Marshal Larry Flowers says decorative lighting, live Christmas trees and unattended candles can pose fire threats.
The National Fire Protection Association reports that electrical failures cause one-third of holiday fires. Lights with damaged sockets or wires and worn or frayed extension cords should never be used. Cords should not be run under rugs or over sharp objects.
Flowers says one in five holiday fires occur because a heat source is too close to a Christmas tree. Lighted candles should never be placed on trees, and live Christmas trees should be discarded when they become dry.
The fire marshal also recommends keeping escape routes free of trees, decorations and presents.