2 am: 42°FPartly Cloudy

4 am: 42°FMostly Cloudy

6 am: 42°FMostly Cloudy

8 am: 41°FPartly Sunny

More Weather

2012 0423 xhistory 13

Herald-Dispatch photo archive -

This is the Marshall University President's Home at 1040 13th Ave. According to Marshall, it was completed in 1923 as the Campbell-Staats Home. Designed by architects Robert and Sydney Day, it was purchased in 1971 by the West Virginia Board of Regents for $95,000. An additional $54,000 was put into remodeling the house from 1971 to 1972. It became the Marshall University President's Home in 1972.

Gallery: Historical Marshall University photos

Jun. 18, 2013 @ 12:31 PM

Marshall University traces its roots to when, in 1837, a group of residents got together, planned the school and named it Marshall Academy.

On March 30, 1838, the Virginia General Assembly formally incorporated Marshall Academy. Its first full term was 1838-1839.

Following the Civil War, the West Virginia Legislature created the State Normal School of Marshall College to train teachers in 1867.

Marshall became a university in 1961, and the School of Medicine admitted its first class in 1978.

(u'nobuy',)