Herald-Dispatch photo archive -
According to Marshall University, the James E. Morrow Library, located on 3rd Avenue, first opened to the public in 1930. It was partially funded by Dwight Morrow and dedicated to his father, James E. Morrow (principal of Marshall College 1872-73). In 1967, an addition was added to the original structure which doubled its size to more than 100,000 square feet. Recently, many areas of the interior of the building have been remodeled. Morrow Library houses three significant collections for the university: Government Documents and Morrow Stacks on 1st floor and Special Collections on 2nd floor. Date is unknown.
Gallery: Historical Marshall University photos
Jun. 18, 2013 @ 12:31 PM
Marshall University traces its roots to when, in 1837, a group of residents got together, planned the school and named it Marshall Academy.
On March 30, 1838, the Virginia General Assembly formally incorporated Marshall Academy. Its first full term was 1838-1839.
Following the Civil War, the West Virginia Legislature created the State Normal School of Marshall College to train teachers in 1867.
Marshall became a university in 1961, and the School of Medicine admitted its first class in 1978.