10 pm: 68°FPartly Cloudy

12 am: 67°FMostly Cloudy

2 am: 66°FMostly Cloudy

4 am: 65°FMostly Cloudy

More Weather

Family displaced by fire in East Pea Ridge

Feb. 12, 2013 @ 12:05 AM

Family displaced by fire

The Herald-Dispatch

HUNTINGTON -- An East Pea Ridge family was displaced by fire late Monday night.

Baker Neal, a teacher at Huntington High School, said he believes an electrical fire started in the kitchen sometime after 10:30 p.m. in his home in the 500 block of Fairwood Drive. He said smoke filled the house, forcing one of his two sons to escape through his second-story bedroom window.

His wife was transported to a local hospital for smoke inhalation.

Baker Neal said in dealing with students everyday, he often hears of the hardships they face. But this was really his first, he said.

"I never experienced this before," he said, standing in the driveway as firefighters from Barboursville Volunteer Fire Department worked to vent the smoke from the house. "This is the first tragedy in my life."

But he said his sons are all right and his wife will be OK. And that was his main concern.

"Everything else can be replaced. I wanted to get my family out," he said.

The family's puppy didn't make it. Baker Neal said he felt bad he couldn't save it, but the smoke was too thick for him to go back in.

Green Valley Volunteer Fire Department assisted at the scene.