1 am: 55°FPartly Cloudy

3 am: 50°FMostly Clear

5 am: 47°FClear

7 am: 46°FSunny

More Weather

Passerby credited with saving woman

Feb. 02, 2013 @ 12:00 AM

LAVALETTE -- A passing utility worker is being credited with rescuing a woman whose house caught fire Friday, all because of what firefighters believe was faulty use of an extension cord.

Wayne County 911 received word of the fire at 11:55 a.m. Friday in the 4700 block of Patty Hollow Road.

Lavalette Volunteer Fire Chief John Maynard said a passing utility worker spotted smoke coming from the woman's house. He rushed inside, attempted to extinguish the fire himself and then helped get her out of the home. She had been unaware of the fire.

"The outcome could have been worse if he hadn't gone in," the chief said.

Maynard described the two-story home as a total loss. He said wiring was pinched within an electrical cord which had been run out of a kitchen window to an outdoor light. The wiring was pinched due to the window having been shut on top of it.

The kitchen and second story both received heavy fire damage. Remaining parts of the home received heat, water and smoke damage, Maynard said.

No injuries were reported.

Volunteer firefighters from Ceredo and Green Valley provided assistance.

Follow Curtis Johnson via Twitter @curtisjohnsonHD and http://facebook.com/curtisjohnsonHD.

(u'addcomment',)

Comments

The Herald-Dispatch welcomes your comments on this article, but please be civil. Avoid profanity, obscenity, personal attacks, accusations of criminal activity, name-calling or insults to the other posters. Herald-dispatch.com does not control or monitor comments as they are posted, but if you find a comment offensive or uncivil, hover your mouse over the comment and click the X that appears in the upper right of the comment. If you do not want your comment to post to your personal Facebook page, uncheck the box below the comment.