11 am: 73°FPartly Sunny

1 pm: 77°FMostly Cloudy

3 pm: 81°FRain

5 pm: 76°FMostly Cloudy

More Weather

Apartment fire leaves tenants homeless

Feb. 19, 2013 @ 01:07 AM

HUNTINGTON -- A fire at an apartment complex in Huntington Monday night ended with at least two tenants homeless.

Huntington Firefighters responded to a three-story structure in the 2900 block of 3rd Avenue at about 8:30 p.m.

Deputy Chief Scott Earl said all indications are the fire started in a second-story apartment in the back and then spread through the wall to an upper-level apartment and attic.

Mark McCoy, one of the residents, said he had fallen asleep on the couch while watching television and awoke to the smell of smoke.

He said he then discovered his oven on fire. He escaped wearing shorts, a T-shirt and no shoes. Luckily, firefighters were able to retrieve a sweatshirt and shoes.

"This couldn't be a worse possible time to be homeless," McCoy said. "I'm on a fixed income. It'll probably take me a year or more to recover."



The Herald-Dispatch welcomes your comments on this article, but please be civil. Avoid profanity, obscenity, personal attacks, accusations of criminal activity, name-calling or insults to the other posters. Herald-dispatch.com does not control or monitor comments as they are posted, but if you find a comment offensive or uncivil, hover your mouse over the comment and click the X that appears in the upper right of the comment. If you do not want your comment to post to your personal Facebook page, uncheck the box below the comment.