5 am: 71°FClear

7 am: 71°FSunny

9 am: 76°FPartly Sunny

11 am: 82°FPartly Sunny

More Weather

2008 0711 camdenhistory 038

File photo/The Herald-Dispatch

Streetcar motorman W.J.B. Gwinn took this photo of the Ohio Valley Electric Railway Co.'s station in front of Camden Park in 1918. The company built Camden Park to generate patronage for its streetcars -- and the strategy must have worked. The streetcar line was double tracked from downtown Huntington to this point, continuing toward Ashland with only a single track. A large side track was built here to hold special cars bringing large crowds to the park to enjoy its rides and dances. Gwinn later moved to Bridgeport, Ohio, where he operated streetcars for several years.

Gallery: Camden Park through the years

Jun. 03, 2013 @ 02:16 PM

Camden Park began in 1903 as a picnic area for the Camden Interstate Railway. Today, it remains the only amusement park in West Virginia.

()