6 pm: 70°FSunny

8 pm: 65°FSunny

10 pm: 59°FPartly Cloudy

12 am: 56°FPartly Cloudy

More Weather

Missing teenage girl found

Dec. 07, 2012 @ 12:00 AM

IRONTON -- A teenage girl who spent the night in some woods off Lawrence Street Road was found Thursday morning along with her missing dog and a suitcase, according to Chris Bowman, acting Ironton Police Chief.

Authorities searched unsuccessfully Wednesday evening and night for Amber Farmer, 14. Her parents last saw her about 4 p.m. Wednesday. The family lives at the Storm Creek apartment complex in the 1500 block of Lawrence Street.

"She appears to be in pretty good shape," Bowman said about 10:30 a.m. Thursday. "I haven't had a chance to talk to her yet. She was complaining of some injuries. It was very cold last night. The temperatures were down in the 20s."

Margo Ervin of Ironton, a family friend, was among a group of four searchers to find the girl.

"I am a grandmother of three," Ervin said. "If anything like this happened to one of them, I would expect help. I had on coveralls on so I could make it through the thicket. When I first saw her, she was sitting up. She acted a little disoriented."

"She had run away," Ervin said. "She had an argument with her mom. I think she fell and got disoriented. She had a little sheet with her and a suitcase. Her legs were so cold. She had some bumps and bruises. She said her back and neck were hurting and she had a headache."

The girl was transported to Cabell Huntington Hospital for evaluation.

Ervin was with two volunteer firefighters and another woman when they found the girl.

"The firefighters had search grids," Ervin said. "She was about halfway up the hill on a ledge. She was so scared and so sorry. She started crying. The dog was fine."

"She was about 300 to 400 yards away from her home," Bowman said. "She was up a very steep hill" behind the apartment complex, he said.

A Huntington Police Department bloodhound was used to track Farmer through a wooded area near the apartment complex Wednesday. The canine lost the scent and a helicopter search also was unsuccessful.