Neighbors feel explosion near Rotary Park
HUNTINGTON -- An explosion shook neighbors around Huntington's Rotary Park about 9 p.m. Thursday.
The explosion happened during a fire in an outbuilding on Upper Glendale Avenue, which is located next to the park.
Fire Marshal Steve Ellis said the building was completely destroyed when he arrived, and it was unlikely they would be able to determine a cause of the fire. However, the explosion that was heard was caused by an oxygen tank combusting.
He said the outbuilding was filled with flammable items.
"They had kerosene heaters, old lawn mowers, paint thinners," he said. "It doesn't look suspicious."
Daniel Nichols lives about a quarter-mile away from the home on North Walnut Street and said he felt the explosion while sitting in his living room.
"It shook our whole house," he said.
No injuries were reported in the fire, and Ellis said the property owner did not have insurance on the building. Firefighters had extinguished the fire by 10 p.m.
It remains under investigation.
The Herald-Dispatch welcomes your comments on this article, but please be civil. Avoid profanity, obscenity, personal attacks, accusations of criminal activity, name-calling or insults to the other posters. Herald-dispatch.com does not control or monitor comments as they are posted, but if you find a comment offensive or uncivil, hover your mouse over the comment and click the X that appears in the upper right of the comment. If you do not want your comment to post to your personal Facebook page, uncheck the box below the comment.