8 am: 51°FPartly Sunny

10 am: 62°FMostly Sunny

12 pm: 70°FSunny

2 pm: 72°FSunny

More Weather

Robbery suspects waive extradition

Jul. 03, 2013 @ 11:10 PM

HUNTINGTON -- Two fugitives arrested in connection with a northern Ohio bank robbery waived extradition Wednesday.

The hearing was one of several cases heard by Cabell Circuit Judges Alfred Ferguson and Paul Farrell.

Tommy L. Gallagher, 36, of CosZhocton, Ohio, and Trevor Spurlock, 21, of Edgemoor, S.C., were arrested Monday at a campground in Ona. They are accused of robbing the Key Brank branch in Westlake, Ohio, a suburb of Cleveland.

Trial date set in homicide case

In a separate case, Ferguson set an Oct. 1 trial date for Quazza Stephan Farrow. A September 2012 indictment charged him with murder.

It stems from the 2 a.m., July 5, 2012, shooting death of Mikeal Branch. It happened outside of the victim's house in Huntington's 1200 block of 18th Street.

Investigators believe a disagreement led Farrow to fire one gunshot at the victim, according to court filings.

Both the prosecution and defense reported progress in their preparation, all while seeking a joint motion to postpone trial.

Authorities searched approximately a month before tracking Farrow to a relative's house in Fort Wayne, Ind. They believe he sought refuge in Ashland and Atlanta before making his way to northern Indiana.

Man pleads guilty to day report monitoring

Recent standoff suspect Deandrew Fizer III admitted Wednesday to having violated provisions of his day report monitoring in Farrell's court.

Fizer, 23, of Romulus, Mich., a Detroit suburb, faces multiple charges related to a May 11 domestic dispute and a June 7 standoff with police. The violations admitted to Wednesday involved a failed drug test, failure to appear and missed payments.

The dispute involved allegations that Fizer assaulted a woman he lived with and her dog at their residence in the in the 900 block of Eutaw Place between 11th and 12th streets in Huntington.

The unrelated, June 7 standoff occurred after a real estate agent found a lock box pried open. That revealed two men squatting at a residence at 134 Sycamore St. Police identified Fizer as one of those at the scene and charged him with felony burglary.

The standoff eventually led to a federal indictment, which charges Fizer with having been a felon in possession of a firearm. He had been prohibited from possessing any gun due to a 2010 assault conviction in Detroit.

Follow Curtis Johnson at Facebook.com/curtisjohnsonHD and via Twitter @curtisjohnsonHD.