Former school to be auctioned off Saturday, Aug. 3
KENOVA -- The former Kenova Elementary School that closed in May 2011 because of concerns of a gaping sink hole will be put up for auction Saturday, Aug. 3.
The property is now owned by the city of Kenova, after a property swap took place later that year involving the former Ceredo-Kenova High School that had been deeded to the city after it closed in the 1998.
Mayor Ric Griffith said the property appraised for $1.175 million, which will serve as the minimum bid for the auction that is scheduled to begin at 10 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 3, on the front steps of the old school on Poplar Street.
He said there are at least two interested parties, including the Presbyterian Housing Foundation. The organization has already done some engineering reports on the property, Griffith said, adding that they would like to renovate or build a senior housing complex.
Those who intend to bid must arrive early to register, have documentation proving financing and a certified check for at least $117,500.
For more information, call the city clerk's office at 304-453-1571.
The Herald-Dispatch welcomes your comments on this article, but please be civil. Avoid profanity, obscenity, personal attacks, accusations of criminal activity, name-calling or insults to the other posters. Herald-dispatch.com does not control or monitor comments as they are posted, but if you find a comment offensive or uncivil, hover your mouse over the comment and click the X that appears in the upper right of the comment. If you do not want your comment to post to your personal Facebook page, uncheck the box below the comment.