Man sentenced for sexually abusing girl
HUNTINGTON -- A 7-year-old girl showed little emotion Thursday, but spoke big words as she faced the man convicted of sexually abusing her two years ago.
"I think that he should go to prison forever," she said to Cabell Circuit Judge Paul T. Farrell.
It won't be forever, but the judge handed down a significant punishment by ordering Mitchell Louis Orr to serve a 5- to 25-year prison sentence followed by 35 years of sex offender supervision and registration.
The girl's father reacted with a thumbs up and then hugged his daughter, all before picking her up in his arms and carrying her from the courtroom. Moments earlier he had asked for the maximum punishment, saying the abuse affected both his daughter and her family.
"This is a 7-year-old girl who has her whole life ahead of her," he said. "This is wrong for this to happen to her. She is innocent. She is a 7-year-old, little girl."
The judge referred to Orr as a "sex addict" who presents a danger to the public.
"What you did is horrific," Farrell said to the defendant. "A small child should never have to go through this."
Orr, 27, had previously entered a Kennedy plea to a single count of first-degree sexual abuse, which allowed for his conviction without the defendant admitting guilt or describing his participation in the crime. Despite the nature of his plea, Orr apologized to the victim, her family and to his own. His mother removed a ring from his finger as bailiffs prepared to lead him away.
"This has hurt me," he said, while also acknowledging the girl as the victim. "I would like to do right with the court. Sir, you will not have any problems out of me. I promise that you will never see me again in this courtroom. I will try to help the victim as much as I can -- whatever I can do to get her counseling."
Assistant Prosecutor Kellie Neal argued against calls from the defense for alternative sentencing. She said while Orr admitted to his wrongdoing, he did not do so in a way that would have matched the state's evidence or the number of times the abuse was alleged to have occurred.
A November 2012 indictment initially charged him with eight counts of sexual abuse, four counts classified as being of the first degree. The allegations involved illegal touching that occurred sometime between April 2011 and June 2011. Seven counts were dismissed in exchange for his Kennedy plea to one.
Follow Curtis Johnson via Twitter @curtisjohnsonHD and http://facebook.com/curtisjohnsonHD.