Crews fight house fire in Lesage
LESAGE -- No one was injured in a house fire Friday along Union Ridge Road in Lesage.
The fire was reported at 3:20 p.m., and firefighters with the Ohio River Road Volunteer Fire Department responded to the scene.
The fire was fully involved when crews arrived on the scene, said Ohio River Road VFD Captain David Bowen. He said a small family lives in the home, but they all made it out safely.
Firefighters were very concerned about two propane tanks near the home, which were slowly leaking propane and fueling the flames. Bowen said crews were able to isolate the structure fire and cool down the tanks before eventually putting out the fire.
Bowen said while many propane tanks in residential areas remain attached to grills, there are ways to prevent the tanks from becoming a risk in the event of a fire.
"There are ways to store the tanks that keep them from being exposed to heat even in the event of a fire," Bowen said. "There are fire cabinets that keep them isolated from the rest of the elements, and that can go a long way."
The Herald-Dispatch welcomes your comments on this article, but please be civil. Avoid profanity, obscenity, personal attacks, accusations of criminal activity, name-calling or insults to the other posters. Herald-dispatch.com does not control or monitor comments as they are posted, but if you find a comment offensive or uncivil, hover your mouse over the comment and click the X that appears in the upper right of the comment. If you do not want your comment to post to your personal Facebook page, uncheck the box below the comment.