Fire destroys mobile home in Altizer
HUNTINGTON -- Family members told firefighters a malfunctioning electrical outlet ignited a fire Wednesday morning that destroyed a mobile home in Altizer.
Cabell County 911 received word of the fire at 9:02 a.m. The residence was located in the 200 block of 10th Street just outside of Huntington.
Mike Bowyer, assistant chief of the Barboursville Volunteer Fire Department, said the mobile home was a total loss. The fire's heat also broke the window of a neighboring residence, but caused no injuries.
A family member smelled smoke and woke to a smoking wall in the area of an electrical outlet. The resident then unplugged something from the outlet igniting the larger fire, Bowyer said. It was ruled accidental with no further investigation necessary.
A mother and son lived at the residence, Bowyer said.
Volunteer fire departments from Green Valley and Ohio River Road provided assistance.
The Herald-Dispatch welcomes your comments on this article, but please be civil. Avoid profanity, obscenity, personal attacks, accusations of criminal activity, name-calling or insults to the other posters. Herald-dispatch.com does not control or monitor comments as they are posted, but if you find a comment offensive or uncivil, hover your mouse over the comment and click the X that appears in the upper right of the comment. If you do not want your comment to post to your personal Facebook page, uncheck the box below the comment.