1 pm: 65°FSunny

3 pm: 73°FSunny

5 pm: 74°FSunny

7 pm: 70°FSunny

More Weather

Fire destroys contents of garage

Feb. 03, 2013 @ 12:00 AM

MILTON -- A fire at a garage in Milton on Saturday afternoon destroyed the contents but left firefightgarage's ers relieved that it wasn't as dangerous as originally reported.

Cabell County 911 received multiple calls at about 2:45 p.m. of black smoke coming from a garage behind a dental office in the 1100 block of South Main Street. Original reports were that chemicals and gasoline were inside, and the fire was threatening neighboring structures.

To make matters worse, it took a crew from the Milton Volunteer Fire Department a little longer to respond because they were helping to block traffic on Interstate 64 at the Milton exit following a string of accidents.

However, Deputy Chief Timmy Chastain said firefighters arrived on scene within 10 minutes and extinguished the fire on the 12-foot by 24-foot garage quickly.

He reported the blaze as being non-hazardous and having been ignited by a kerosene heater which was turned on to help dry the floor. The heat, Chastain said, ignited some ordinary combustible materials kept inside.

The owners were outside doing some work when the fire started. He said it was a total loss of all the contents.

()