6 am: 40°FSunny

8 am: 44°FSunny

10 am: 55°FSunny

12 pm: 64°FSunny

More Weather


Couple, dogs safe after house fire

Jan. 08, 2014 @ 12:00 AM

HUNTINGTON -- A Huntington couple and their dogs were safe Tuesday night after a fire destroyed the second floor of an Enslow Boulevard home.

Whitney Gayheart, the homeowner, said she was home with her boyfriend and dogs when she heard the fire alarm sound around 7:47 p.m.

"We were laying on the couch, watching TV and heard the fire alarms upstairs go off," she said. "My boyfriend ran upstairs, and he told me to call 911. So, I did, and I grabbed our dogs and my purse and ran outside."

Firefighters arrived to smoke throughout the home and found a fire in the back of the house on the second floor. They are unsure what the source of the fire was.

"Nothing was on," Gayheart said. "Nothing was plugged in."

With temperatures in the teens, firefighter Chris Blanton said it was important to get the fire out quickly for the sake of firefighter safety.

"We try to get in quick and get out because it's just as bad as the heat in the summertime," he said. "It's very stressful to the guys and wears them out pretty quick."

(u'addcomment',)

Comments

The Herald-Dispatch welcomes your comments on this article, but please be civil. Avoid profanity, obscenity, personal attacks, accusations of criminal activity, name-calling or insults to the other posters. Herald-dispatch.com does not control or monitor comments as they are posted, but if you find a comment offensive or uncivil, hover your mouse over the comment and click the X that appears in the upper right of the comment. If you do not want your comment to post to your personal Facebook page, uncheck the box below the comment.