The Marshall College Thundering Herd basketball team that won the 1947 National Association of Intercollegiate Basketball championship in Kansas City, Mo., poses in Marshall's 1921 gymnasium. The team included, from left, first row, Bill Hall, Bill Toothman, Andy Tonkovich, Gene "Goose" James, Mervin Gutshall; second row, Coach Cam Henderson, Dick Erickson, Jim Bakalis, Bob Wright and Team Manager Johnny Wellman.
Gallery: Historical Marshall University photos
Jun. 18, 2013 @ 12:31 PM
Marshall University traces its roots to when, in 1837, a group of residents got together, planned the school and named it Marshall Academy.
On March 30, 1838, the Virginia General Assembly formally incorporated Marshall Academy. Its first full term was 1838-1839.
Following the Civil War, the West Virginia Legislature created the State Normal School of Marshall College to train teachers in 1867.
Marshall became a university in 1961, and the School of Medicine admitted its first class in 1978.