3 am: 41°FClear

5 am: 39°FClear

7 am: 38°FSunny

9 am: 48°FSunny

More Weather

KDMC, OLBH continue growth in Ashland

Jan. 15, 2009 @ 08:31 AM

ASHLAND — Huntington is not the only area of the Tri-State with a rich medical history. The Ashland area boasts some big names of its own.

King’s Daughters

King’s Daughters Medical Center in Ashland was formed in 1899 as King’s Daughters’ Hospital at a time when Ashland had no healthcare facility. The founders were women from a local chapter of the International Order of King’s Daughters’. Within a 16-year period, the hospital moved four times, seeking larger spaces to keep up with the growing need for medical services.

By 1917, a fundraising campaign enabled King’s Daughters’ Hospital to move to a building on Lexington Avenue.

Over the years, much growth has taken place at King’s Daughters. The hospital survived the Great Depression and emerged stronger than ever in the 1940s. Growth continued throughout the next few decades and major expansion completed in 1972 brought the hospital to its current capacity of 385 beds and more than 3,900 employees. During this time, the original 1917 structure was demolished. The name changed to King’s Daughters’ Medical Center during the 1980s with a completely new facade and entrance.

New acquisitions increased its grounds to 18 acres by the 1990s. In 1995, a new four-story addition expanded the emergency department and added new patient care areas.

Growth and new services have continued, including large projects in the past several years.

The Hospitality House, which provides families with a place to stay while loved ones are hospitalized, opened in 2005. Four thousand guests were cared for at the facility during its first three years of service.

The 12,000-square-foot residence features 13 guest rooms with private baths, a common kitchen, dining area, a living room and laundry facilities.

KDMC opened five new buildings in 2005 and 2006. Recent additions to the campus include the 23rd Street parking garage, Medical Plaza B, Outpatient Imaging Center, the Heart and Vascular Center and the Hospitality House. 

The Heart and Vascular Center opened in May 2006, and the $13.5 million outpatient diagnostic imaging facility opened in June 2006.

A fourth floor at the Heart and Vascular Center opened this year.

Previously empty, the fourth floor now houses the 24-bed Heart and Vascular Intermediate Unit and the 26-bed Chest Pain Unit.

With the Chest Pain Unit moving to the fourth floor, the 20-bed unit on the first floor is becoming the Heart and Vascular Pre-Op Unit.

For more information, go to www.kdmc.com.


In 1954, a small group of Franciscan Sisters of the Poor made Our Lady of Bellefonte Hospital a reality. OLBH opened its doors with 92 beds and 40 bassinets. Today, OLBH is a 214-bed acute care facility with more than 1,100 employees.

A lot has been developed at OLBH over the years, from back before the emergency room became 24 hours in the late 1970s through countless expansions and renovations in the 1980s and ’90s.

During the 1990s, the mobile mammography program began, and the Vitality Center (now known as the Human Motion Vitality Center) opened, featuring an indoor track, rehabilitation-size swimming pool and fitness equipment.

The hospital opened a 24-bed addition in 1994, and in 1999, a cardiac catheterization lab opened. In 2002, OLBH introduced its Sleep Lab.

In 2006, OLBH opened its first new services at Bellefonte Centre with the OLBH Diabetes and Wound Care Center. The OLBH Imaging Center also opened on the ground floor of Bellefonte Centre in 2006.

Bellefonte Pediatrics opened in 2007, as well as the hospital’s new $2.5 million endoscopy lab, the first phase of a $5 million hospital expansion.

Last year, the hospital unveiled the OLBH Women’s Center, a $1.1 million facility.

The Same Day Surgery Center also was renovated last year, completing a $5 million expansion to increase surgery capacity, and a $3.1 million surgery expansion at OLBH added operating capacity for inpatient surgeries.

A half million dollar expansion of the OLBH ER also took place last year and included the addition of two beds, renovations to the ER trauma room, a new nurses’ station twice the size of the prior station and a new pneumatic tube system.

For more information, visit www.olbh.com.