HUNTINGTON — The January 2015 Fourth Tuesday Tour at 7 p.m. Jan. 27 at the Huntington Museum of Art will include a tour of the exhibit titled Mary H. Hodges, In Memory of J. Churchill Hodges, Presents, "Collection Wisdom: Emeritus & Honorary Trustees Select."
HUNTINGTON - With the outbreak of World War II, American industry rolled up its sleeves and went to work. Virtually overnight, plants switched from making automobiles and other civilian goods to turning out guns and tanks and airplanes.
HUNTINGTON - In 1871, the year of the city's birth, Bradley W. Foster came to Huntington and built a two-story wooden hardware store on the southwest corner of 3rd Avenue and 9th Street. In 1894, he replaced the wooden structure with a three-story brick and stone building. Foster's original retail store ultimately evolved into the Foster-Thornburg Hardware Co., a major wholesale firm.
HUNTINGTON — In 1904, Dr. Archibald Kenton Kessler, who was operating a private hospital at Clarksburg, West Virginia, decided to come to Huntington to build a second institution.
Editor's note: This is the 59th in a series of articles recalling vanished Huntington landmarks.
Long before Walmart ventured into West Virginia, the state had its own homegrown chain of discount department stores.
HUNTINGTON — "Service to a family by a family." That was the motto of the French Tavern, one of Huntington's most popular restaurants for more than 50 years.
Editor's note: This is the 56th in a series of articles recalling vanished Huntington landmarks.
Editor's note: This is the 55th in a series of articles recalling vanished Huntington landmarks.
The Abbott Theater was built in 1938 at a cost of $1,700 on a lot purchased by W.E. Neal from the West End Realty Co. (Obviously, constructing buildings was a great deal cheaper back then.)