Editor's note: This is the 76th in a series of articles recalling vanished Huntington landmarks
Editor's note: This is the 75th in a series of articles recalling vanished Huntington landmarks.
Editor's note: This is the 74th in a series of articles recalling vanished Huntington landmarks.
Editor's note: This is the 73rd in a series of articles recalling vanished Huntington landmarks.
HUNTINGTON - Hard work and long hours began for Evan M. Cyrus at the age of 11 when the Cavendish Brothers employed him to work at their Central City store after school and on Saturdays.
HUNTINGTON - In 1946, Nathan Corbin, a Russian immigrant, and his sons Lee and Howard founded a clothing manufacturing company in Brooklyn, New York.
The city of Huntington's first school was a four-room brick building built at 720 4th Ave. in 1872, one year after the city's birth. Four more rooms were added to the building in 1882, but ultimately the growing student body prompted construction of a new larger school.
When Cabell County moved the county seat to Huntington from Barboursville in 1887, the county initially shared space in Huntington's town hall on the east side of the 400 block of 9th Street.
Editor's note: This is the 69th in a series of articles recalling vanished Huntington landmarks.
HUNTINGTON - Mention the words glass plant to most folks in Huntington and the name that quickly comes to mind is Owens-Illinois, the big glass container maker that closed its Huntington plant in 1993. But in the heyday of the West Virginia glass industry, Huntington was home to at least three dozen glass plants, both large and small, producing a wide variety of items.
HUNTINGTON - After attending Marshall College for two semesters in 1924, Huntington native Henry Ray Ellinwood moved to California, where he went into business making camera equipment.
HUNTINGTON - Back before corporate chains came to dominate the pharmacy business, it seemed like downtown Huntington had a drug store on virtually every other street corner.