When Cabell County moved the county seat to Huntington from Barboursville in 1887, the county initially shared space in Huntington's town hall on the east side of the 400 block of 9th Street.
Editor's note: This is the 69th in a series of articles recalling vanished Huntington landmarks.
HUNTINGTON - Mention the words glass plant to most folks in Huntington and the name that quickly comes to mind is Owens-Illinois, the big glass container maker that closed its Huntington plant in 1993. But in the heyday of the West Virginia glass industry, Huntington was home to at least three dozen glass plants, both large and small, producing a wide variety of items.
HUNTINGTON - After attending Marshall College for two semesters in 1924, Huntington native Henry Ray Ellinwood moved to California, where he went into business making camera equipment.
HUNTINGTON - Back before corporate chains came to dominate the pharmacy business, it seemed like downtown Huntington had a drug store on virtually every other street corner.
HUNTINGTON - John Beckwith (1909-1998) started in the food business on July 1, 1939, when he invested $500 to open a small open-air produce stand at 2651 5th Ave.
HUNTINGTON — In 1954, what initially was called the Gateway Hotel opened on U.S. 60 East with 18 guest rooms. By 1956, when the vintage postcard shown here was mailed, it had grown to 22 units. In the mid-1960s, the hotel dramatically expanded with construction of a 250-room wing. A conference center was added in the 1980s and the property became known as the Gateway Inn and Conference Center.
Editor's note: This is the 64th in a series of articles recalling vanished Huntington landmarks.
HUNTINGTON — The January 2015 Fourth Tuesday Tour at 7 p.m. Jan. 27 at the Huntington Museum of Art will include a tour of the exhibit titled Mary H. Hodges, In Memory of J. Churchill Hodges, Presents, "Collection Wisdom: Emeritus & Honorary Trustees Select."
HUNTINGTON - With the outbreak of World War II, American industry rolled up its sleeves and went to work. Virtually overnight, plants switched from making automobiles and other civilian goods to turning out guns and tanks and airplanes.
HUNTINGTON - In 1871, the year of the city's birth, Bradley W. Foster came to Huntington and built a two-story wooden hardware store on the southwest corner of 3rd Avenue and 9th Street. In 1894, he replaced the wooden structure with a three-story brick and stone building. Foster's original retail store ultimately evolved into the Foster-Thornburg Hardware Co., a major wholesale firm.