HUNTINGTON -- Union Gen. John Hunt Oley was elected recorder and treasurer in the new city of Huntington's first election. As recorder, he was in charge of the city's schools and is considered the father of public education in Huntington.
HUNTINGTON -- When the future Marshall University entered the 1920s, the college campus still consisted of only two buildings -- Old Main, the oldest part of which dated back to 1868, and Northcott Hall, which welcomed its first students in 1916.
EDITOR'S NOTE: This is the 23rd in a series of articles recalling vanished Huntington landmarks.
HUNTINGTON -- Erected in the late 1920s, the high-rise Park Tower Hotel stood on the northeast corner of 4th Avenue and 7th Street, across from the Cabell County Courthouse in downtown Huntington.
HUNTINGTON - Twice in its long history, the Guyan Golf & Country Club has been visited by fire and forced to rise from the ashes of devastating blazes.
Editor's note: This is the 20th in a series of articles recalling vanished Huntington landmarks.
HUNTINGTON - In 1904, Huntington built a new elementary school at 4th Avenue and 21st Street and named it for one of the city's best-known early business leaders.
HUNTINGTON - When lumberman Robert Shore built his Florentine Hotel in 1887, its location on the southeast corner of 4th Avenue and 9th Street was considered "too far out of the business section." Most of the city's businesses were located on 2nd Avenue with only a few buildings on 3rd Avenue and even fewer on 4th Avenue. Nevertheless, Shore's hotel prospered.
Editor's note: This is the 17th in a series of articles recalling vanished Huntington landmarks.
EDITOR'S NOTE: This is the sixteenth in a series of articles recalling vanished Huntington landmarks.