3 pm: 62°FSunny

5 pm: 63°FSunny

7 pm: 59°FSunny

9 pm: 54°FClear

More Weather

Canty ruled ineligible by NCAA

Nov. 16, 2012 @ 12:00 AM

HUNTINGTON -- Marshall University men's basketball player Kareem Canty's initial eligibility was shut down Thursday by the NCAA.

Canty, a 6-foot-1 freshman point guard from Harlem, N.Y., was ruled ineligible for practice and competition this season after the school exhausted all its available appeals, a news release said.

He will be able to retain a full athletic scholarship for the 2012-13 academic year. Upon completion of the 2013 spring semester he can rejoin the team in full capacity.

"We are very surprised and extremely disappointed in the decision by both the Eligibility Center and the NCAA regarding Kareem's initial eligibility," Marshall head coach Tom Herrion said. "He excelled as a student in our summer sessions at Marshall and his academic performance to date this semester has been terrific.

"Our basketball family will continue to support Kareem through this most disappointing experience."

Canty has been practicing, but didn't dress for the Thundering Herd's first two games.

He attended two schools last year -- Westwind Prep Academy in Phoenix, Ariz., and Faith Baptist Christian School in Brandon, Fla. He also attended Bridgton Academy in Maine and Bishop Loughlin Memorial High in Brooklyn.

ESPN.com rated Canty as the 19th best point guard recruit.

(u'addcomment',)

Comments

The Herald-Dispatch welcomes your comments on this article, but please be civil. Avoid profanity, obscenity, personal attacks, accusations of criminal activity, name-calling or insults to the other posters. Herald-dispatch.com does not control or monitor comments as they are posted, but if you find a comment offensive or uncivil, hover your mouse over the comment and click the X that appears in the upper right of the comment. If you do not want your comment to post to your personal Facebook page, uncheck the box below the comment.