Diabetes and its complications can affect many parts of the eye. Diabetes can cause changes in nearsightedness, farsightedness, and premature presbyopia. It can result in cataracts, glaucoma, a lack of eye muscle coordination (strabismus), and in decreased corneal sensitivity. Visual symptoms of diabetes include fluctuating or blurred vision, occasional double vision, loss of visual field and flashes and floaters within the eyes. Sometimes these early signs of diabetes are first detected in a thorough eye examination by your eye doctor. The most serious eye problem associated with diabetes is diabetic retinopathy which occurs when there is a weakening or swelling of the tiny blood vessels in the retina of your eye, resulting in blood leakage, the growth of new blood vessels and other changes. Early detection is critical because if untreated, blindness can result. During your routine visit, the doctor can diagnose potential vision threatening changes in your eye that can be treated to prevent blindness.
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.
- Part of Guyandotte street closed for sewer repair
- New study: Opioid crisis cost US economy $631B over four years
- Tuesday night obituary update
- Democrats weigh formal impeachment vote as probe quickens
- Ohio law raises smoking age Thursday
- Hunter Biden denies wrongdoing in Ukraine, China dealings
- Tuesday morning obituary update
- British family decries treatment by US after border crossing
- The Latest: Booker plays the peacemaker at Democratic debate
- AP FACT CHECK: Claims from the Democratic debate
- Trump meets with parents of British teen killed in crash
- Trump Jr. pitches to base while his father fights for Texas
- University may lose Superman papers over Liz Cheney comments
- The Latest: Pelosi says 'all roads seem to lead to Putin'
- New floating haunted house near Huntington offers unique experience
- 2019 Trick-or-treat times for the Tri-State
- Marshall University sorority issued cease and desist order
- 'We're not alone' - 'Sesame Street' tackles addiction crisis
- Convicted killer gives glimpse of life on federal death row
- Ironton mayoral candidate denies Keith's claims
- Cabell Huntington registered nurses begin seeking union representation
- Huntington man accused of stabbing roommate
- Marathon Petroleum adds three towboats to its fleet
- One injured in Huntington shooting
- Photos: Cabell Huntington nurses ask for union recognition
- Photos: Huntington’s 66th annual Fire Prevention Parade
- Photos: Fans tailgate before Marshall vs. ODU
- Photos: 14th annual Ladies in Pink Luncheon
- Photos: 23rd Annual Fall Festival in Wayne
- Photos: Marshall defeats Old Dominion, 31-17
- Photos: Cast Iron Cook-Off at Heritage Farm Museum and Village
- Photos: Fall Festival activities at Fairland Southern Baptist Church
- Photos: Marathon Petroleum Marine Transportation Fleet Ceremony
- Photos: People spend Sunday evening at Cooper's Family Corn Maze