In 1972, the Logan County community of Buffalo Creek experienced the most destructive flood in West Virginia history, when a coal waste dam burst and 130 million gallons of water and sludge poured through nearby mining towns. During the Buffalo Creek Flood on Feb. 26, 1972, 125 people lost their lives, 1,100 were injured and 4,000 were left homeless.
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.
- WV man charged in New York City subway scare
- Ironton's Salyers hopes to put up video-game numbers at QB
- Longtime Rock Hill head coach is now an assistant at Chesapeake
- Photos: Renovations at Marshall University
- Photos: Huntington's 5th Annual Italiano! Italian Festival
- DeWine dismisses proposal to use fentanyl for executions
- Photos: Princess Tea Party at Cabell County Public Library
- 9-year-old fisher reels in massive catch at Beech Fork
- Victim: Man kept woman in abandoned house for weeks
- ICE denies 'large-scale operation" in Barboursville
- Man charged with murder claims death was an accident
- Former Cabell deputy and son indicted on federal drug trafficking charges
- ICE denies 'large-scale operation' in Barboursville
- Cabell County HIV cluster now at 71 cases
- Bojangles’ closes 16th Street location, along with three others in West Virginia
- Council member says decision to resign difficult, her own choice
- Busy D'Antoni family enjoys rare time together at the Cam
- Photos: 7th Annual Rails and Ales Craft Beer Festival
- Photos: Jewel City Kickball games, Sunday, August 11, 2019
- Photos: Guyandotte Elementary School “Meet and Greet Night”
- Photos: Cabell County Summer Graduation Commencement Ceremony
- Photos: Huntington firefighters visit with Marshall football team
- Photos: 'Light Up The Lake,' The Barboursville Water Lantern Festival
- Photos: Marshall women’s basketball practice
- Photos: Marshall football practice, Aug. 14
- Photos: The Pilot Club of Huntington's 67th Annual Antiques Show and Sale
- Photos: Readers share their back to school pictures