PEGGY ANNE ESSLINGER, 88, of Huntington, W.Va., passed away on Monday, April 5, 2021, in Emogene Dolin Jones Hospice House. She was born July 14, 1932, in Birmingham, Ala., the daughter of the late Farrow and Edna Smoot Gauntt. In addition to her parents, she was preceded in death by her husband, Charles B. Esslinger, two sisters and a brother. Peggy was a member of Pea Ridge United Methodist Church. She enjoyed playing bridge and belonged to several bridge clubs. She made several friends at the Barboursville Library, which she visited often. She is survived by her children, Mark Esslinger and wife Patti of Huntington, Charles Esslinger and wife Karen of Jasper, Ind., and Nancy McAllister and husband Charles of Myrtle Beach, S.C.; grandchildren, Chris (Traci) Esslinger, Jason (Alexis) Esslinger, Michael (Sabrina) Esslinger, Eric Esslinger and Chris Imes; two great-grandchildren, Chloe and Adelin Esslinger; several nieces and nephews; and her pet companion, “Kitty Cat.” Beard Mortuary, Huntington, is assisting her family with arrangements.
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.
3001 Third Avenue
Search Past Obituaries
Submit An Obituary
We accept obituaries only from the funeral home in charge. For information on submitting an obituary, please contact The Herald-Dispatch by phone at 304-526-2793 or email at email@example.com. Obituaries for The Herald-Dispatch must be received by 2 p.m. to appear in the next day’s publication. Obituaries for the Wayne County News, which publishes on Wednesday, must be received by noon Tuesday.
- Huntington woman accused of sexually abusing, beating 4-year-old
- Child development services employee accused of stealing more than $4.7 million in federal funds
- W.Va. House unanimous in rejection of governor’s plan to cut state income tax
- Man convicted of incest accused of violating probation again, back in jail
- Coffee, baked goods now available at Wayne business
- Film directed by Huntington native picked up by Marquee Cinemas
- RACHEL KATHRYN TURNER
- Police roundup: Huntington woman caught with gun at airport
- Chuck Landon: Scrimmage shows faster pace of 'Huff's Herd'
- Capital High student shot, killed on Charleston's West Side
- Photos: Cabell Midland vs. George Washington, girls basketball
- Photos: Cabell Midland vs. Huntington, boys basketball
- Photos: Flowers bloom around Huntington
- Photos: Huntington vs. George Washington, boys basketball
- Photos: Prince Philip, Britain’s longest serving consort, through the years
- Photos: St. Joe vs. Mingo Central, girls basketball
- Photos: High school baseball, Fairland vs. South Point
- Photos: Easter service in Kenova Town Square
- Photos: Girl Scouts conduct cookie sale for 'Health Care Heroes'
- Photos: Developmental Therapy Center's Egg My Lawn fundraiser