HAROLD EDWARD VERNON SR., 89, of Huntington, W.Va., died Sunday, October 25, 2020, in St. Mary’s Medical Center. Graveside funeral service will be conducted 11 a.m. Wednesday, October 28, 2020, at Community Memorial Gardens, Wayne, W.Va., with Pastor Cledith Campbell officiating. Harold was born March 11, 1931, in Logan, W.Va., a son of the late David Wesley and Mary Clark Vernon. Harold was an M.P. with the U.S. Air Force serving in Korea. He was owner of United Painters and Decorators, an avid hunter and fisherman and loved to play the guitar. He was also preceded in death by his first wife, Goldie Terry Vernon in 1974; and his second wife, Edna June Vernon; two brothers, Thurman Adkins and Forest Vernon; and his daughter-in-law, Maxine Vernon. Survivors include one daughter, Barbara Ann Conner and husband Allen; and one son, Harold E. Vernon Jr., all of Huntington; one sister, Ethel Joyce Bartrum of Proctorville, Ohio; and several grandchildren, nieces and nephews. Military gravesides rites will be conducted by Veterans Honor Guard Post 16. Visitation will be after 10:30 a.m. Wednesday at the cemetery. Chapman’s Mortuary, Huntington, is assisting the family. Online condolences may be sent to www.chapmans-mortuary.com.
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.
2851 3rd Ave.
Huntington, WV 25702
Search Past Obituaries
Submit An Obituary
We accept obituaries only from the funeral home in charge. For information on submitting an obituary, please contact The Herald-Dispatch by phone at 304-526-2793 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Obituaries for The Herald-Dispatch must be received by 2 p.m. to appear in the next day’s publication. Obituaries for the Wayne County News, which publishes on Wednesday, must be received by noon Tuesday.
Click Today's Obituaries to view all of the listings.
- Man who lost leg after being pinned to tree sues drunk driver, lodge
- Cabell Midland's Caudill to trade hoorays for oorahs
- Drive-thru Christmas event at Huntington YMCA lights up the night
- BRIAN KEITH ROSS
- TOMMY EUGENE CLAGG
- Cabell County woman among new COVID-19 deaths in West Virginia
- Man admits to robbery, attempted murder of Huntington restaurant owner
- Cabell County man among new COVID-19 deaths in West Virginia
- Ironton man sentenced to prison
- Charleston police officer Johnson dead at 28; sheriff’s office provides some details on shooting
- Photos: First snow of the season hits Huntington
- Photos: Small Business Saturday
- Photos: Black Friday at The Huntington Mall
- Photos: Marshall basketball wins season opener over Arkansas State
- Photos: Girls High School Basketball, Fairland vs. Coal Grove
- Photos: Huntington Cabell Wayne Animal Shelter’s Thankful Furry Feast event
- Photos: Marshall vs. Wright State, men's basketball
- Photos: Boy's High School Basketball, Fairland vs. Piketon
- Photos: Winter Wonderland of Lights
- Photos: Festival of Trees and Trains in Ashland