JEWELL EVELYN WILDS, 98, of Lavalette, W.Va., widow of Daniel Garland Wilds, passed away Thursday, April 29, 2021, in Huntington Health and Rehabilitation. She was born August 9, 1922, in Huntington, W.Va., a daughter of the late Audley and Florence Geer Smith. She was also preceded in death by three sisters, Rosalie Wipple, Barbara Rose and Diana Smith; three brothers, William Smith, Vinson Smith and Alfred Smith; one daughter, Brenda Sims; and a grandson, Jeffrey Daniel Sims. She was a homemaker and Baptist by faith. Survivors include one son and daughter-in-law, Richard and Sally Wilds of Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; one sister, Dorothy Woods of Barboursville; three grandchildren, Kimberly Brainerd (Jack), Richard Brian Wilds (Robin) and Gregory Sims; one great-granddaughter, Samantha Davis (Jerrod); and several nieces and nephews. Funeral services will be conducted 2 p.m. Thursday, May 6, 2021, at Chapman’s Mortuary with Pastor Jerry Matt officiating. Burial will follow in Ridgelawn Memorial Park. The family will receive friends one hour prior to service time Thursday at the funeral home. Online condolences may be sent to www.chapmans-mortuary.com.
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.
2851 3rd Ave.
Huntington, WV 25702
Search Past Obituaries
Submit An Obituary
We accept obituaries only from the funeral home in charge. For information on submitting an obituary, please contact The Herald-Dispatch by phone at 304-526-2793 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Obituaries for The Herald-Dispatch must be received by 2 p.m. to appear in the next day’s publication. Obituaries for the Wayne County News, which publishes on Wednesday, must be received by noon Tuesday.
Click Today's Obituaries to view all of the listings.
- BUSINESS BEAT: Starbucks, Qdoba, Papa John’s coming to Stadium Center in Huntington
- Ugly scene mars exciting game in Boone
- Prichard Building project gets $3 million grant; construction expected to begin in January
- List would help buy remaining properties for Chesapeake Bypass
- Lesage airport becomes private airstrip following sale
- Despite self-defense claim, Huntington double homicide case moves forward
- Chuck Landon: Why is MU's attendance so low?
- Two sentenced to prison in federal drug cases
- JENNIFER MARIE MERRYWEATHER-DEAN
- Huntington teen pleads guilty to manslaughter charges
- Photos: 'Moana Jr.' at Huntington High School
- Photos: Spring Valley vs. South Charleston, football
- Photos: Funktafest 5
- Photos: 3rd Avenue Art Gallery
- Photos: Appalachian State tops Marshall, 31-30
- Photos: A Fairfield Community Celebration of Gratitude for Dr. And Mrs. Jerome Gilbert
- Photos: Race for Rembert rubber duck race
- Photos: High school football, Cabell Midland vs. Parkersburg
- Photos: FoxFire Music & Arts Festival, Friday
- Photos: Marshall conducts President's Media Quoits Tournament