VERNON LEE “SPUD” MARTIN, 92, of Proctorville, Ohio, passed away Wednesday, April 7, 2021, in Encompass Health, Huntington. He was born October 7, 1928, in Huntington, a son of the late Alva Lloyd and Donna Rae Massie Martin. He was also preceded in death by his wife, Gail Marsh Hardin Martin, and two sisters, Mildred M. Chapman Hall and Dorcie I. Steinbrecher. He was a retired Sheetmetal Worker with H.T. Boggs Sheetmetal and Roofing and was a member of Sheetmetal Local Union No. 24 for 73 years. He was a member of First Baptist Church of Proctorville. Survivors include three sons and two daughters-in-law, Robert and Deborah Martin of Ona, W.Va., Gary Martin of Proctorville, and George and Teresa Martin of Martinsville, Va.; four grandsons and their spouses, Michael and Hollie Martin, Timothy McClung, Christopher and Meredith Martin, and Lucas and Michaela Martin; four great-grandsons, Levi, Titus, Cyrus and Preston Martin; two great-granddaughters, Zoe and Kendall; a sister, Carol Young of Farmington, Maine; and several nieces and nephews. Funeral services will be conducted noon Monday, April 12, 2021, at Chapman’s Mortuary, Huntington, with Pastor Jeff Black officiating. Burial will be in Highland Memorial Gardens, South Point, Ohio. Visitation will be from 11 a.m. to noon Monday at the funeral home. Online condolences may be sent to the family at www.chapmans-mortuary.com.
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.
2851 3rd Ave.
Huntington, WV 25702
Search Past Obituaries
Submit An Obituary
We accept obituaries only from the funeral home in charge. For information on submitting an obituary, please contact The Herald-Dispatch by phone at 304-526-2793 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Obituaries for The Herald-Dispatch must be received by 2 p.m. to appear in the next day’s publication. Obituaries for the Wayne County News, which publishes on Wednesday, must be received by noon Tuesday.
Click Today's Obituaries to view all of the listings.
- 2021 West Virginia high school boys basketball tournament schedule
- DAVID ARTHUR BECKETT
- Human remains identified as man missing for six years
- West Virginians can now register for medical cannabis card
- With no questions from defendants, Rader’s testimony kept short at opioid trial
- Nine Cabell pharmacies controlled half of opioid market, expert says
- EDDIE JOE ALDRIDGE
- Milton educator brings W.Va. history to life through animated videos
- Friday night concert series to launch in Huntington
- The Wing Place adds new option to The Market
- Photos: Readers share their prom 2021 photos
- Photos: Cabell County’s National Day of Prayer service
- Photos: George Washington wins Class AAAA state championship
- Photos: Huntington tops University in Class AAAA state tournament
- Photos: Huntington falls to Morgantown in Class AAAA semifinals
- Photos: Mother's Day brunch lessons at Huntington's Kitchen
- Photos: HPD swears in nine probationary officers
- Photos: Huntington High Theatre 2021 Senior Showcase
- Photos: First Friday returns to downtown Ashland
- Photos: Shady Spring defeats Wheeling Central for Class AAA title