CHARLES E. MARTIN, 85, of Lake Helen, Fla., formerly of Huntington, W.Va., died July 6, 2020, at his home. He was born March 29, 1935, in Huntington, son of the late Harry and Helen Kent Martin. He was a retired Senior Master Chief of the Command from the United States Navy. Master Chief Martin’s memberships include St. Peters Episcopal Church; the Ceredo Crescent Lodge AF&AM No. 32; the Scottish Rite of Norfolk, Va.; the Khedive Temple of Chesapeake, Va.; an associate member of El Hasa Temple of Ashland, Ky.; the BPOE Elks Lodge No. 313; The Moose Lodge; the American Legion Post 16 of Huntington; a lifetime member of the VFW of Virginia Beach, Va.; and a lifetime member of the Fleet Reserve Association Branch 33 of Fairmont, W.Va. He is survived by five children and their spouses, Harry C. Martin (Susan) of Casper, Wyo., Dennese M. Deaton (Douglas) of Chesapeake, Ohio, Jane C. Gresham of Chesapeake, Va., Russell P. Martin (Debbie) of Dallas, Texas, Anita L. Steadman (Brian) of Virginia Beach, Va.; one brother, Jerry L. Martin (Barbara), formerly of Proctorville, Ohio; eight grandchildren and 14 great-grandkids and one due in September. A memorial service will be held 11 a.m. Saturday, July 18, 2020, by the Rev. Deborah Rankin at Klingel-Carpenter Mortuary, with the United States Navy conducting military rites. The family will receive friends from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. prior to the service. Face masks and social distancing will be observed. Memorials should be directed to the Dolphin Submarine Scholarship Fund of Norfolk, Va. Family guestbook at www.klingelcarpenter.com.
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.
328 6th Avenue
Huntington, WV 25701
Search Past Obituaries
Submit An Obituary
We accept obituaries only from the funeral home in charge. For information on submitting an obituary, please contact The Herald-Dispatch by phone at 304-526-2793 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Obituaries for The Herald-Dispatch must be received by 2 p.m. to appear in the next day’s publication. Obituaries for the Wayne County News, which publishes on Wednesday, must be received by noon Tuesday.
Click Today's Obituaries to view all of the listings.
- ANDREA LYNN ROY
- Ona man to appear in episode of ‘Forged in Fire’ on History Channel
- Cabell Commission approves litigation resolutions involving Robert Newlon Airport
- Mary Donnan, wife of former Herd football coach, dies
- McCallister brothers face new indictment in shooting of man
- Brumfields combine for 875 baseball victories
- Chuck Landon: Give O'Malley a chance at MU
- Drug court returns to in-person graduations with joyous celebration
- Changes to social service agencies in WV aim to improve child welfare system
- Time Saver Auto Title & Notary permanently closes all locations
- Photos: Drag Me to Brunch Picnic Edition
- Photos: Five graduate from Cabell County Drug Court
- Photos: The Addams Family the Musical at Ritter Park
- Photos: Art in the Park
- Photos: 14th Street West Arts Fest
- Photos: Old Central City Days returns for 30th anniversary
- Photos: Final round of the Bettinardi Classic
- Photos: C-K community celebrates the life of Carl K. Ward
- Photos: Tri State Street Rods annual car show
- Photos: Chalk the Lot at the Ashland Town Center