DR. R. LAWRENCE DUNWORTH, age 86, of Huntington, W.Va., passed away Friday, October 16, 2020. Born in Portsmouth, Ohio, March 2, 1934, to Leo and Jeannette Dunworth, Larry grew up in Ironton, Ohio, attended St. Joseph’s High School, the University of Notre Dame and Georgetown University Medical School. Married for 59 years to Deirdre Doolan Dunworth, Larry and his young family moved in 1967 to Huntington where he began his ophthalmology practice. A member of St. Joseph Parish, Larry’s Catholic faith informed every aspect of his life. His days began without fail at daily Mass. Larry loved sports, especially Fighting Irish football and skiing in Colorado. He also loved fine wine, fine dining and fine art. He had a passion for bloodhounds and a deep appreciation for the company of good friends and family. He was the consummate host – warm, gracious and hospitable to all. He was generous, humble, kind, quick-witted and charming. Larry is predeceased by his parents, Leo and Jeannette, his brother Jim of San Antonio, Texas, and his sister MaryAnn McMahon of Metairie, Louisiana. He is survived by his daughters, Mara Dunworth Barich (Frank) of Portland, Oregon, Danné M. Dunworth of Cincinnati, Ohio, Catherine Dunworth Botta (Chris) of Rockville Centre, New York, and grandsons Devin (Nora Carr), Peter and Colin Barich and Aidan, Luke and Cole Botta. He also leaves behind countless devoted friends and extended family, most especially Nicki and Keith Osburn. Due to the unprecedented circumstances of the COVID-19 pandemic, services will be private for immediate family. A celebration of life will be held at a later date. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the charity of your choice in his memory. Condolences may be shared at www.klingelcarpenter.com.
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.
328 6th Avenue
Huntington, WV 25701
Search Past Obituaries
Submit An Obituary
We accept obituaries only from the funeral home in charge. For information on submitting an obituary, please contact The Herald-Dispatch by phone at 304-526-2793 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Obituaries for The Herald-Dispatch must be received by 2 p.m. to appear in the next day’s publication. Obituaries for the Wayne County News, which publishes on Wednesday, must be received by noon Tuesday.
Click Today's Obituaries to view all of the listings.
- ANDREA LYNN ROY
- Ona man to appear in episode of ‘Forged in Fire’ on History Channel
- Cabell Commission approves litigation resolutions involving Robert Newlon Airport
- Mary Donnan, wife of former Herd football coach, dies
- McCallister brothers face new indictment in shooting of man
- Brumfields combine for 875 baseball victories
- Chuck Landon: Give O'Malley a chance at MU
- Changes to social service agencies in WV aim to improve child welfare system
- Time Saver Auto Title & Notary permanently closes all locations
- Police roundup: Highlawn shooting victim ID’d
- Photos: Drag Me to Brunch Picnic Edition
- Photos: Five graduate from Cabell County Drug Court
- Photos: The Addams Family the Musical at Ritter Park
- Photos: Art in the Park
- Photos: 14th Street West Arts Fest
- Photos: Old Central City Days returns for 30th anniversary
- Photos: Final round of the Bettinardi Classic
- Photos: Tri State Street Rods annual car show
- Photos: Chalk the Lot at the Ashland Town Center
- Photos: C-K community celebrates the life of Carl K. Ward