ERMA MAYBELLE MESSINGER, 98, died Sunday, October 11, 2020, at her residence at the Woodlands Retirement Community. She was born May 15, 1922, in Huntington, a daughter of the late William Ray and Erma Estelle Frampton Bowser Messinger. She was also preceded in death by her husband, Claude Hampton Messinger, and a grandson, Braden G. Stevens. She was a Registered Nurse, board member of King’s Daughters Hospital, a member of Fifth Avenue Baptist Church, very active in missionary work in Uganda, Africa, and was instrumental in organizing the Wayne County Health Department. She and her husband operated WTSF-TV in Ashland, Ky., and hosted Christian Family Programing. She is survived by four children, Timothy Ray (Kathy) Messinger, Stephen Erie (Rafaela) Messinger, Rebecca Jane (John) Moore and Deborah Ann (Thomas) Stevens; grandchildren, Mark (Deanna), Jonathan (Tiffany), David (Abby), Melissa Aery, Jillian Bell, Leah Ann Yagodich, John Michael Yagodich, Thomas E. III, Eric and Lexie; great-grandchildren, Paityn, Shane, Eva, Noelle, Dawson, Kaidence, Keatyn, Beau, Landon, Quinn, Thomas, Emilia Aery, Ariela, Lianna Bell, William Michael Yagodich, Isabella Ann Yagodich, Elora K. and Hallie Stevens. Services will be held 2 p.m. Wednesday, October 14, 2020, at Klingel-Carpenter Mortuary. Interment will follow in Forest Lawn Memorial Gardens in Huntington. Friends may call Wednesday from noon until service time at the funeral home. Please follow social distancing and wear a face covering. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Fifth Avenue Baptist Church. Family guestbook at www.klingelcarpenter.com.
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.
328 6th Avenue
Huntington, WV 25701
Search Past Obituaries
Submit An Obituary
We accept obituaries only from the funeral home in charge. For information on submitting an obituary, please contact The Herald-Dispatch by phone at 304-526-2793 or email at email@example.com. Obituaries for The Herald-Dispatch must be received by 2 p.m. to appear in the next day’s publication. Obituaries for the Wayne County News, which publishes on Wednesday, must be received by noon Tuesday.
Click Today's Obituaries to view all of the listings.
- ANDREA LYNN ROY
- Ona man to appear in episode of ‘Forged in Fire’ on History Channel
- Cabell Commission approves litigation resolutions involving Robert Newlon Airport
- Mary Donnan, wife of former Herd football coach, dies
- McCallister brothers face new indictment in shooting of man
- Brumfields combine for 875 baseball victories
- Chuck Landon: Give O'Malley a chance at MU
- Changes to social service agencies in WV aim to improve child welfare system
- Time Saver Auto Title & Notary permanently closes all locations
- Police roundup: Highlawn shooting victim ID’d
- Photos: Drag Me to Brunch Picnic Edition
- Photos: Five graduate from Cabell County Drug Court
- Photos: The Addams Family the Musical at Ritter Park
- Photos: Art in the Park
- Photos: 14th Street West Arts Fest
- Photos: Old Central City Days returns for 30th anniversary
- Photos: Final round of the Bettinardi Classic
- Photos: Tri State Street Rods annual car show
- Photos: Chalk the Lot at the Ashland Town Center
- Photos: C-K community celebrates the life of Carl K. Ward