LINDEN CHILES, 95, of Huntington, died Sunday, May 10, 2020, at the Woodlands, with his family by his side. He was born May 14, 1924, in Louisa, Va., a son of the late Walter Douglas and Margaret Goodman Chiles. He was also preceded in death by his two wives, Nancy Dickinson Chiles and Georgia Shepherd Chiles, and three brothers, Walter, Henry and Bob Chiles. Linden was a Staff Sgt. in the Army during WWII, a graduate of VPI, the owner and operator of the former Dickinson Furniture Store, a member of Johnson Memorial United Methodist Church and the Huntington Downtown Lions Club. He is survived by his children, Katherine Chiles, Margaret (Steve) Williams, Anne (Ed) Collins and Chris (Michaela) Chiles; Six Grandchildren, Sandra Sakhai-Owens, Mark Williams (Sylvia), Mason Wendell (Megan), James Wendell (Rachel), Chris Chiles (Chelsea), Drew Chiles (Shannon), Ben Chiles (Samantha); and Eleven Great-grandchildren, Layken, Forrest, Savannah, Kayla, Mariah, Mace, Lyra, Campbell, Winifred, Caroline and Linden; and one great-great-grandson, Dean. Private services will be held for the family at Ridgelawn Memorial Park. A Memorial service will be held at a later date. Klingel-Carpenter Mortuary is in charge of arrangements. Expressions of sympathy may be made to Systemic Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis, systemicjia.org, 3584 Outlook Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45208, Autism Services and Johnson Memorial United Methodist Church. Family guestbook at www.klingelcarpenter.com.
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.
328 6th Avenue
Huntington, WV 25701
Search Past Obituaries
Submit An Obituary
We accept obituaries only from the funeral home in charge. For information on submitting an obituary, please contact The Herald-Dispatch by phone at 304-526-2793 or email at email@example.com. Obituaries for The Herald-Dispatch must be received by 2 p.m. to appear in the next day’s publication. Obituaries for the Wayne County News, which publishes on Wednesday, must be received by noon Tuesday.
Click Today's Obituaries to view all of the listings.
- ANDREA LYNN ROY
- Ona man to appear in episode of ‘Forged in Fire’ on History Channel
- Cabell Commission approves litigation resolutions involving Robert Newlon Airport
- Mary Donnan, wife of former Herd football coach, dies
- McCallister brothers face new indictment in shooting of man
- Brumfields combine for 875 baseball victories
- Chuck Landon: Give O'Malley a chance at MU
- Changes to social service agencies in WV aim to improve child welfare system
- Time Saver Auto Title & Notary permanently closes all locations
- Police roundup: Highlawn shooting victim ID’d
- Photos: Drag Me to Brunch Picnic Edition
- Photos: The Addams Family the Musical at Ritter Park
- Photos: Five graduate from Cabell County Drug Court
- Photos: Art in the Park
- Photos: 14th Street West Arts Fest
- Photos: Old Central City Days returns for 30th anniversary
- Photos: Final round of the Bettinardi Classic
- Photos: Tri State Street Rods annual car show
- Photos: Chalk the Lot at the Ashland Town Center
- Photos: Cabell Midland vs. Huntington, baseball