ROBERT GARFIELD ADKINS JR., 71, of Huntington, W.Va., passed away at Emogene Dolin Jones Hospice House on Wednesday, August 5, 2020. Born October 24, 1948, at St. Mary’s Hospital in Huntington, W.Va., he was a son of Robert G. Adkins Sr. and the late Mildred Adkins. He is survived by his loving wife of 47 years, Susan Adkins; his children, Robert G. Adkins III and wife Brittaney Bailey, Tina Marquis and husband Ben Marquis; seven grandchildren, Lily Adkins, Ryan Marquis, Dakota McGhee, Liam Marquis, Nathan Marquis, Robert G. Adkins IV (Qade), and Stella Marquis; his two sisters, Karen Skeens and Sharon Fowler; brothers-in-law Rick Kirk and Bob Fowler; sister-in-law Sally Kirk; numerous nieces and nephews and several great-nieces and nephews. Memorial service will be held 2 p.m. Saturday, August 8 at the Sunshine Free Will Baptist Church, 2111 James River Road, Huntington. Those attending are asked to follow CDC guidelines and state mandates of social distancing and wearing a mask. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations to Sunshine Free Will Baptist Church. Family guestbook at www.klingelcarpenter.com.
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.
328 6th Avenue
Huntington, WV 25701
Search Past Obituaries
Submit An Obituary
We accept obituaries only from the funeral home in charge. For information on submitting an obituary, please contact The Herald-Dispatch by phone at 304-526-2793 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Obituaries for The Herald-Dispatch must be received by 2 p.m. to appear in the next day’s publication. Obituaries for the Wayne County News, which publishes on Wednesday, must be received by noon Tuesday.
Click Today's Obituaries to view all of the listings.
- ANDREA LYNN ROY
- Ona man to appear in episode of ‘Forged in Fire’ on History Channel
- Cabell Commission approves litigation resolutions involving Robert Newlon Airport
- Mary Donnan, wife of former Herd football coach, dies
- McCallister brothers face new indictment in shooting of man
- Brumfields combine for 875 baseball victories
- Chuck Landon: Give O'Malley a chance at MU
- Changes to social service agencies in WV aim to improve child welfare system
- Time Saver Auto Title & Notary permanently closes all locations
- Police roundup: Highlawn shooting victim ID’d
- Photos: Drag Me to Brunch Picnic Edition
- Photos: The Addams Family the Musical at Ritter Park
- Photos: Five graduate from Cabell County Drug Court
- Photos: Art in the Park
- Photos: 14th Street West Arts Fest
- Photos: Old Central City Days returns for 30th anniversary
- Photos: Final round of the Bettinardi Classic
- Photos: Tri State Street Rods annual car show
- Photos: Chalk the Lot at the Ashland Town Center
- Photos: Cabell Midland vs. Huntington, baseball