JOHNNY LEE DEERE, 88, of South Point, Ohio, passed away Thursday, April 1, 2021, in St. Mary’s Medical Center, Huntington, W.Va. John was born January 19, 1933, in Russell, Ky., a son of the late Joseph and Dora Abrams Deere. In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his beloved wife, Donna Arthur Deere; two sisters, Catherine Lee and Josephine Meek; and one brother, Clyde Deere. John was a veteran of the US Army, having served in the Korean War. He retired in 1995 from AK Steel after 40 years of service. He was a member of Tri-State Baptist Temple and enjoyed playing cards, fishing and growing tomatoes. He was also a 32nd Degree Scottish Rite Mason, Valley of Cincinnati, and a member of South Point Masonic Lodge No. 497. John is survived by his children, Joseph A. Deere and Todd A. (Audra) Deere, all of South Point, Ohio; two sisters, Ruth Russell of Flatwoods, Ky., and Carol (Michael) York of Flatwoods, Ky.; three grandchildren, Danyelle (Josh) Dunfee, Trevor Deere and Cameron Deere; two great-grandchildren, Larkyn Dunfee and Davis Dunfee; and a host of family and friends who will miss him dearly. Funeral services will be 1 p.m. Wednesday, April 7, 2021, at Slack and Wallace Funeral Home, South Point, Ohio, with Pastors Dean Fulks and Jim Beals officiating. Masonic and military graveside rites will be observed. Burial will follow in Highland Memorial Gardens, South Point, Ohio. Friends may visit from 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, April 6, 2021, at Slack and Wallace Funeral Home. Masks and social distancing will be required to attend. Condolences to the family may be expressed at www.slackandwallace.com.
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.
802 Solida Road
South Point, OH 45680
Search Past Obituaries
Submit An Obituary
We accept obituaries only from the funeral home in charge. For information on submitting an obituary, please contact The Herald-Dispatch by phone at 304-526-2793 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Obituaries for The Herald-Dispatch must be received by 2 p.m. to appear in the next day’s publication. Obituaries for the Wayne County News, which publishes on Wednesday, must be received by noon Tuesday.
Click Today's Obituaries to view all of the listings.
- Child development services employee accused of stealing more than $4.7 million in federal funds
- Huntington woman accused of sexually abusing, beating 4-year-old
- Man convicted of incest accused of violating probation again, back in jail
- Coffee, baked goods now available at Wayne business
- Film directed by Huntington native picked up by Marquee Cinemas
- RACHEL KATHRYN TURNER
- Chuck Landon: Scrimmage shows faster pace of 'Huff's Herd'
- Capital High student shot, killed on Charleston's West Side
- Police roundup: Huntington woman caught with gun at airport
- Police probe reports of monkeys on loose in Ohio cemetery
- Photos: Cabell Midland vs. Huntington, boys basketball
- Photos: Cabell Midland vs. George Washington, girls basketball
- Photos: Flowers bloom around Huntington
- Photos: Easter service in Kenova Town Square
- Photos: St. Joe vs. Mingo Central, girls basketball
- Photos: Developmental Therapy Center's Egg My Lawn fundraiser
- Photos: Prince Philip, Britain’s longest serving consort, through the years
- Photos: High school baseball, Fairland vs. South Point
- Photos: Huntington vs. George Washington, boys basketball
- Photos: South Point Volunteer Fire Department biannual pancake breakfast fundraiser