MICHAEL G. MEALEY, 74, of Chesapeake, Ohio, died Friday, May 15, 2020, at his residence. He was born in Wayne County, a son of the late Boxer and Ilene Riggs Mealey. He was a U.S. Air Force veteran, serving in the Vietnam War, as well as a machinist for INCO. He attended England Hill Freewill Baptist Church, and was a flight instructor at the Ona and Chesapeake, Ohio, airports. He enjoyed his grand-kids and working outdoors. Survivors include his wife, Terry L. Mealey; two daughters, Dena Reynolds and Julie (Adrian) Lindsey, both of Cleveland, Ohio; a stepdaughter that he raised, Alisha (Johnny) Mannon of Chesapeake, Ohio; a stepdaughter, Tara Turner of Detroit, Mich.; a stepson, Rickey (April) Carter of Huntington; one sister, Janice (Paul) Maynard of Toledo, Ohio; two brothers, Jack (Sue) Mealey of Prichard, W.Va., and Kenny (Brenda) Mealey of Morgantown, W.Va.; ten grandchildren, Nick, Taylor, Kasie, Eric, Jordan, Josiah, Amya, Karson, Jackson and Sa’nyah; one great-grandson, Shiloh; and a special friend who was like a son, Mike Dyer of Chesapeake, Ohio. He was preceded in death by one brother, Paul Mealey, and one sister, Ina Rowsey. Funeral service will be 2 p.m. Tuesday, May 19, 2020, at Slack and Wallace Funeral Home, South Point, Ohio, with his special cousin, Pastor Willie May officiating. Burial will follow at Hillcrest Cemetery in Kenova. Friends may call from noon-2 p.m. at the funeral home. Condolences to the family may be expressed at www.slackandwallace.com.
Essential reporting in volatile times.
Not a Subscriber yet? Click here to take advantage of All access digital limited time offer $4.99 per month EZ Pay.
Interested in Donating? Click #ISupportLocal for more information on supporting local journalism.
Learn more about HD Media
Learn more about HD Media
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.
802 Solida Road
South Point, OH 45680
Submit An Obituary
We accept obituaries only from the funeral home in charge. For information on submitting an obituary, please contact The Herald-Dispatch by phone at 304-526-2793 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Obituaries for The Herald-Dispatch must be received by 2 p.m. to appear in the next day’s publication. Obituaries for the Wayne County News, which publishes on Wednesday, must be received by noon Tuesday.
Click Today's Obituaries to view all of the listings.
- JOHN WILLIAM SCARBERRY JR.
- Family, friends honor 16-year-old shooting victim with candlelight vigil
- CHARLES DAVID PERRY
- Juvenile dies after being shot Wednesday in Huntington
- GLENN RANDALL ADKINS
- Tanning salons added to fourth phase of opening
- Some churches will open their doors again beginning Sunday
- CAROLYN MARIE NEWTON
- TAYLA JO JOHNSON
- WILLIAM MASON ARKLE
- Photos: Candlelight vigil for Tayla Johnson
- Photos: Cabell Midland Class of 2020 parade
- Photos: Southside Elementary celebrates last day of school
- Photos: Covenant School mobile kindergarten graduations
- Photos: Huntington Middle School 8th Grade Parade Celebration
- Photos: The pandemic in pictures
- Photos: Opening Day Races at Ona Speedway
- Photos: Former Herd, NFL player Legursky lends hand to United Way
- Photos: 152nd Ironton-Lawrence County Memorial Day Parade
- Photos: Village of Barboursville Elementary 5th-grade graduation parade