EUGENE GARLAND GILPIN, 88, of Flatwoods, Ky., passed away Tuesday, March 16, 2021, at the Hubbard Hospice House in Charleston, W.Va. He was born July 17, 1932, in McConnell, W.Va., a son of the late William Mason Gilpin and Cora Adkins Gilpin. He was also preceded in death by the mother of his children, Freda Spurlock Gilpin, his wife of twenty-three years, Berta Esther Hanen-Gilpin, and one son, Manford Eugene “Butch” Gilpin. He was a veteran of the Korean Conflict, having served in the US Army. He is survived by four daughters, Teresa (Don) Reynolds of Tennessee, Cora (Mike) Bailey of Pennsylvania, LaDonna Cutlip of Milton, W.Va., and Robin Thomas of Ashland, Ky.; and several grandchildren, great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren. Services will be conducted at 11 a.m. Friday, March 19, 2021, at the Forest Memorial Park Mausoleum, Milton, with Jason Mullins officiating. Wallace Funeral Home and Chapel, Barboursville, is in charge of arrangements.
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.
1159 Central Avenue
Barboursville, West Virginia 25504
Search Past Obituaries
Submit An Obituary
We accept obituaries only from the funeral home in charge. For information on submitting an obituary, please contact The Herald-Dispatch by phone at 304-526-2793 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Obituaries for The Herald-Dispatch must be received by 2 p.m. to appear in the next day’s publication. Obituaries for the Wayne County News, which publishes on Wednesday, must be received by noon Tuesday.
Click Today's Obituaries to view all of the listings.
- 'Hillbilly Elegy' author J.D. Vance quits firm after tweets
- Huntington woman accused of sexually abusing, beating 4-year-old
- Jim's Steak and Spaghetti announces modified Strawberry Pie Week
- W.Va. House unanimous in rejection of governor’s plan to cut state income tax
- TINA SARENE LOWE-McCORMICK
- Camden Corner features doughnuts, fried chicken
- Family sues police after man's death labeled homicide by medical examiner
- Baylor's NCAA title 'exhilarating' for former local prep star Loveday
- Woman accused of stealing millions from Huntington nonprofit released on bond
- SHERYL PYLES
- Photos: Thundering Lanes Celebrity Bowl-A-Thon
- Photos: K9 officer training seminar
- Photos: Cabell Midland vs. George Washington, girls basketball
- Photos: Huntington vs. Cabell Midland, girls basketball
- Photos: Cabell Midland vs. Spring Valley, girls basketball
- Photos: Fairland vs. Chesapeake, high school baseball
- Photos: Wayne vs. St. Joe, girls basketball
- Photos: Glass-smashing event on Marshall campus
- Photos: Huntington vs. George Washington, boys basketball
- Photos: Barboursville Library launches Giving Tree campaign