GARY LEE POWERS, 73, of Milton, W.Va., passed away Saturday, January 16, 2021. He was born January 19, 1947, in Cabell County, a son of the late Strickling and Violet Powell Powers. He is also preceded in death by two sisters, Wanda Lewis and Sandra Chapman; and nephew, Greg Stowasser. Gary served his country in the United States Army during Vietnam. He worked for CSX for 39 years and was a past President of the Milton Lions Club, a member of the Milton Order of the Eastern Star 149, Lebanon Lodge No. 68 and the American Legion Post 139. He is survived by his loving wife, Marty Valentine Powers; daughter, Amanda Davis (Brad); son, Matthew Powers (Melissa); sister, Karen Corey; three grandchildren, Wyatt Powers, Reed Davis and River Davis; sister-in-law, Victoria Valentine; brother-in-law, Dalton Lewis; nephews, Kevin Lewis (Judi) and Chris Corey (Emily); and niece, Michelle Kelley (Dallas). Special thanks to Lori Thompson, Christy Hall and Tracey Davis. In lieu of flowers, donations may be sent to the Eccho Food Pantry, 1038 Smith St., Milton, WV 25541. A memorial service will be held at a later date. Wallace Funeral Home, Milton, is assisting the family with arrangements. Online condolences may be sent to www.timeformemory.com/wallace.
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.
1159 Central Avenue
Barboursville, West Virginia 25504
Search Past Obituaries
Submit An Obituary
We accept obituaries only from the funeral home in charge. For information on submitting an obituary, please contact The Herald-Dispatch by phone at 304-526-2793 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Obituaries for The Herald-Dispatch must be received by 2 p.m. to appear in the next day’s publication. Obituaries for the Wayne County News, which publishes on Wednesday, must be received by noon Tuesday.
Click Today's Obituaries to view all of the listings.
- New Hatfield-McCoy trails set to open March 1
- Vehicle fire spreads to new cars at dealership
- Huntington restaurant has alcohol license suspended
- Schools unite to support beloved photographer Sanborn
- Cabell BOE votes to build Meadows Elementary in new location
- Ohio River crests at highest level since 1997
- Police: Missing child, 6, killed and put into the Ohio River
- Beloved photographer Sanborn dead from cancer
- Justice income tax plan proposes big cuts, tax hikes
- Second round of Pandemic EBT payments for eligible children to be sent in March
- Photos: Flood waters rise around Huntington
- Photos: Areas around Cabell County experience flooding
- Photos: Area flooding
- Photos: Firefighters battle vehicle fire at River City Subaru
- Photos: Area continues to deal with flooding
- Photos: Cleanup continues at Heritage Farm
- Photos: Marshall volleyball team vs. Western Kentucky
- Photos: Fairland vs. North Adams, boys basketball
- Photos: MU women's basketball vs. Rice University, Saturday
- Photos: St. Joe vs. Scott, girls basketball