JACOB WESLEY HESS, 42, of Milton, W.Va., passed away on Monday, August 10, 2020. He was born on August 12, 1977, a son of Joseph and Loraine Yates Hess. In addition to his parents, he is survived by three sons, Caleb, Ethan and Ziggy; one sister, Ashley Cherry (Jacob); one brother, Bradley Hess; maternal grandparents, Dewey and Patricia Yates; and many other close family members. He was preceded in death by his paternal grandparents, John F. and Garnett Hess. Jacob graduated in 1995 from Cabell Midland High School and continued his education at Marshall University, where he earned 2 Bachelor of Science Degrees. He spent time working with the Collis P. Huntington Railroad Society, hosting train excursions and working in the train yard. Music was an essential part of his life, both listening to and playing it. Jacob worked with Riverside Recovery Services, where he was an inspiration to many, always compassionate and dedicated to his cause of assisting others in fighting their drug demons. He had so much love for his family, and they are left with a void that can’t be filled. Services will be private and burial will be in Forest Memorial Park, Milton. Wallace Funeral Home, Milton, is assisting the family with arrangements. Online condolences may be expressed to the family at www.timeformemory.com/wallace. In lieu of flowers, please donate to a cause dear to Jacob’s heart, Oxford House Inc. Donations can be made on www.networkforgood.org: Scroll down to click on “donate now” and search for Oxford House — please mention Jacob’s name if making a donation.
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.
1159 Central Avenue
Barboursville, West Virginia 25504
Search Past Obituaries
Submit An Obituary
We accept obituaries only from the funeral home in charge. For information on submitting an obituary, please contact The Herald-Dispatch by phone at 304-526-2793 or email at email@example.com. Obituaries for The Herald-Dispatch must be received by 2 p.m. to appear in the next day’s publication. Obituaries for the Wayne County News, which publishes on Wednesday, must be received by noon Tuesday.
Click Today's Obituaries to view all of the listings.
- Body recovered near Camden Park
- Former council member, magistrate indicted in 2019 shooting
- Take a guess: Planned Village Shoppes seek community input on new businesses
- STEPHEN MICHAEL ANDREW WARDEN
- UPDATE: MU professor put on leave after offensive statement about Trump voters during class
- BRIAN LEWIS
- Huntington will settle suit with former MU athletes for more than $350K, according to attorney
- Huntington recovery program gets nearly $1M loan guarantee
- BUSINESS BEAT: Jewel City Seafood reopens today in downtown Huntington
- Fort Gay PreK-8 employee tests positive for COVID-19
- Photos: Marshall vs. Appalachian State, football
- Photos: Fairland vs. South Point, football
- Photos: Drive-in talent show
- Photos: People spend Sunday afternoon at Camden Park
- Photos: Huntington High vs. Wheeling Park, football
- Photos: Homeschool skate event at Skateland
- Photos: Protest at Mildred Mitchell-Bateman Hospital
- Photos: Heritage Farm We Learn Wednesday Event
- Photos: The President’s Master Quoits Tournament
- Photos: Fall activities in Milton